Paul Roos expects no fall-out from failed Jack Trengove trade
MELBOURNE does not expect any fall-out from its willingness to trade Jack Trengove to Richmond during the recent exchange period.
Paul Roos said the 23-year-old midfielder had no problems with the Demons' actions during the proposed trade, which fell through when Trengove failed a medical examination.
In the suggested deal Richmond was prepared to exchange pick No.12 for Trengove and pick No.23.
Roos spoke to Trengove when the trade was first mooted to see if he would be prepared to consider the switch.
He told him he was a required player but the trade was an option the club was contemplating.
"It was an opportunity that Richmond presented to us," Roos said on Wednesday.
"It wasn't a fire sale. It was a case of, if it was an opportunity for him, he needed to be comfortable with it."
Trengove has since undergone a second bout of surgery to repair his injured navicular bone and said last week he was prepared to write off 2015 if he had to in order to heal.
Roos said it was too early to make bold predictions about Trengove's immediate future, with the first step being his recovery from the operation.
"[We want to make] sure he is healthy and making sure he heals and making sure that he gets out of the boot and he can walk and run and jog," Roos said.
"If that happens then we're really confident that he can play again."
Roos said Trengove remained positive and was upbeat.
Roos also said Jesse Hogan would hit the training track immediately after missing all but one game in 2014 with a back injury.
The coach said Hogan was like a new recruit for the club given he was yet to play a senior match.
"The hardest thing for Jesse will be to hold him back just to make sure we pace him all the way to the start of the season and give him the chance to play some senior footy," Roos said.
The Demons have also invited four Casey Scorpions players to train with the club ahead of the national and rookie draft.
Former Frankston speedster James Munro, midfielder Mitch Gent, 2013 Gippsland Power best and fairest winner and tackling machine Edward Morris and defender Bryce Rutherford will all spend the next three weeks training with the Demons' squad.
Internal competition driving Suns ruck to great heights, says Hardwick
Damien Hardwick says Jarrod Witts has had a 'terrific' start to 2025, largely thanks to the impact of understudy Ned Moyle
'He'll play when he's ready': Dogs hopeful as injured stars hit the track
Marcus Bontempelli and other sidelined stars Adam Treloar, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Cody Weightman have hit the training track together
'Embarrassed and ashamed': Oscar Allen opens up on Mitchell meeting
Oscar Allen has opened up on his meeting with Sam Mitchell
Swans blow as scans reveal Papley injury, forward to return via VFL
Sydney will lose Tom Papley for six to eight weeks after the star forward cracked his heel during training, while Logan McDonald will return via the VFL